Buffalo hump (fat accumulation on upper back and shoulder) and Lipoma (benign fatty tumours) are structurally different, and so are their treatment approaches.
Table of Contents
The appearance of a double chin is an issue that affects many people regardless of physique or age. Going on a diet with fat loss intentions may not help because, in most situations, the double chin can be stubborn and resistant to diet. A combination of sagging skin and excess fat affects a person's appearance and, even more so, their self-confidence. Nonetheless, help and hope are at hand.
A procedure such as liposuction can help to get rid of the double chin for good.
What is a Double Chin Liposuction?
The neck is one of the first places to show when it comes to skin ageing, and for some people, excess fat tends to accumulate in areas such as under the chin. The goal of the double chin liposuction procedure is, as the name suggests, to remove the excess fat present.
Facial liposuction with MDC-Sculpt® Lipo technique
MDC-Sculpt® Lipo technique is a modern liposuction technique developed by Dr Ivan Puah, who is also the Medical Director at Amaris B. Clinic. This proprietary technique enables Dr Puah to meet the specific needs of patients when it comes to excess fat removal and facial sculpting.
Facial liposuction is a delicate procedure that requires experienced and steady hands. The patient's well-being is always Dr Puah's primary concern, and meticulous attention must be given to achieve desired results. Facial liposuction by Dr Ivan Puah is performed in an accredited Day Surgery Center. The patient will be under twilight sedation (GA is not required), and the procedure will be done under local anaesthesia. With his proprietary technique, incisions are created strategically for maximum access to the different fat layers, and scarring is minimal and well-hidden. Patients can expect a faster recovery and lesser discomfort post-surgery.
Who is the Ideal Candidate For Double Chin Liposuction?
An ideal candidate for double chin liposuction should be in good overall health. Good skin elasticity also helps, but the doctor will be in a better position to advise.
Benefits of Double Chin Liposuction
When it comes to the signs of ageing, the double chin usually appears before others. It can reflect and, perhaps more concerning, inflate a person's actual age.
Getting rid of the issue helps not only with appearance but self-confidence as well. Another cause of a double chin is genetics, so those affected can also get it addressed.
Removes puffy-looking double chin
The double chin creates a tired and aged look, and facial liposuction not only addresses the issue of excess fat and, in some individuals, targets "turkey neck", but it also can, under the hands of abled liposuction doctor, create a sculpted, and slimmer face.
The liposuction technique has progressed in tandem with advancements in science. An example is the MDC-Sculpt®️ Lipo technique, developed by Dr Ivan Puah. Dr Puah's experience in liposuction and body contouring procedures has equipped him with a better understanding of a patient's unique fat, skin, skeletal and muscle anatomy. The MDC-Sculpt®️ Lipo technique enables Dr Puah to remove facial and body fat from a multi-dimensional approach but also encourages skin tightening and achieves subtle lifting, which is not doable with traditional liposuction.
Liposuction is a strictly regulated surgical procedure in Singapore. It can only be performed by an MOH-accredited doctor. When you choose a liposuction doctor, it is crucial to select one that is licensed, experienced and skilled.
How to prepare for a Double Chin Liposuction Surgery
Dr Ivan Puah has over 17 years of liposuction and body contouring experience. He is certified to perform Laserlipolysis (Laser Liposuction), Ultrasonic assisted liposuction such as Vaser Liposuction, having completed his fundamental and advanced body sculpting training in Italy, the U.S. and Argentina.
Two Weeks Before Surgery
You will receive a list of "to-do" and "not-to-do" during the pre-surgery counselling session, and here are some to take note of:
- Avoid medications and oral supplements that may increase the risk of bleeding. Do inform the doctor of any course of medications or supplements that you are on.
- Abstain from smoking and other nicotine products as this impedes recovery and wound healing.
- Arrange for a family member or friend to pick you up from the facility.
- Make ample prior work arrangements so you can focus on your recovery.
Night Before Surgery
- Fasting before the procedure will be advised, so follow the instructions.
- Remember to get ample rest/sleep.
- Try to be in a state of calm and relaxation to avoid unnecessary stress. This is good for the body and mind.
- Ensure that you've set up a conducive recovery area at home.
- Patients with facial hair are advised to shave it off.
Day Of Surgery
- Come in comfortable and loose-fitting clothing. Buttoned or zipped-up shirts are preferred.
- Remove all piercings and jewellery.
- Do not put on makeup, skincare products, contact lenses, or hair products.
- Ensure that someone accompanies you to and from the Day Surgery Center.
- Follow the time given during the pre-surgery counselling and arrive at the facility on time.
What to expect after a Double Chin Liposuction surgery
- A post-surgery care pack will be provided for the patient, including a "to-do" and "not-to-do" list, medications, dressing packs, etc.
- After double chin facial liposuction treatment, each patient must be on a medical-grade facial compression garment 24/7 for four to eight weeks.
- The patient can resume showering the following day, and instructions will be given on caring for incisions accordingly.
How to sleep after double chin liposuction surgery
Getting enough sleep is an essential part of recovery. While this can be challenging considering the circumstances, it can be done. The patient will need to wear a compression garment and sleep in an upright position during the initial period of recovery. This may be uncomfortable if they have a habit of sleeping on the side or stomach.
Risks of double chin liposuction surgery
Common side effects of double chin liposuction include:
- Mild fluid leakage from the incision sites for a day or two.
- Swelling, bruising and soreness are expected as part of the healing process.
A patient's role is equally vital to that of the doctor. As such, the onus is upon the patient to heed the advice dispensed by the doctor for every step of the process to reduce possible complications and optimise the results.
Are you considering a double chin liposuction surgery?
Dr Ivan Puah, Liposuction Doctor in Singapore
Dr Ivan Puah is an accredited liposuction doctor by the Ministry Of Health Singapore and Chairman of the Lipo Peer Review Committee Singapore. He has close to two decades of body sculpting and liposuction experience, an in-depth knowledge of the technicalities involved (procedure-wise) and, equally important, an understanding of each patient's needs. Together with his team at Amaris B. Clinic, they have been helping many patients address issues and achieve the desired results.