Did you know that Singapore’s Ministry of Health has very strict regulations and stringent criteria when it comes to issuing licenses to doctors allowed to perform liposuction? This helps to minimise complications that can arise from negligence.
While that’s reassuring to know, liposuction isn’t just about finding a certified medical professional who can help you get rid of your unwanted fats. If you’ve watched episodes of the American reality TV series, Botched, where two plastic surgeons help fix plastic surgery gone wrong, you’ll realise the importance of choosing not only a qualified surgeon but one with an eye for detail and overall aesthetics too.
A huge part of achieving desired results is about having a doctor who is able to accurately assess your needs and then marry technology with a keen artistic sense, all while upholding the highest safety standards.
Dr Ivan Puah, medical director of Amaris B. Clinic, says there are a few things that can go wrong with liposuction and body sculpting treatments. “Insufficient fat reduction during the procedure can lead to pockets of fat left behind that can result in unsightly bulges, while excessive removal may cause dents, skin dimples and uneven skin surface on the affected areas.”
Dr Puah has over 15 years of body-sculpting experience and is accredited by the Ministry of Health to perform surgical body sculpting procedures such as liposuction. He is also the current Chairman of the Lipo Peer Review Group in Singapore.
What it means for patients: This wealth of knowledge means that he is “able to differentiate what patients need versus what they want”, which in turn allows him to be more effective in advising them on the proper course of treatment.
In fact, Dr Puah believes that liposuction is 70 per cent art and 30 per cent science. “Body sculpting is not only just about targeted fat reduction, such as reducing the tummy fat or love handles. It is also about achieving proper body proportions, enhancing muscle tone and improving skin tightening,” he explains.
“The experience, skills and artistic sense of the doctor are especially essential to help patients achieve satisfactory and aesthetically pleasing results. I have seen many cases performed by others where patients were unhappy with their bodies after body sculpting, complaining about looking unnatural or having uneven results.”
Body sculpting as an art form
Finding a doctor with good aesthetic sense is imperative to helping you achieve the silhouette you desire. “Being trained to perform liposuction properly is just the beginning for a doctor. Learning the scientific theories of fat reduction, mastering the technicalities of the procedures and understanding the potential complications, allows the doctor to carry out the procedure,” says Dr Puah.
But it is much more than this. He adds: “To be good, the doctor not only needs to be experienced but also more skilful, meticulous and ‘artistic’. Performing liposculpture on a patient can be likened to painting on a blank piece of canvas. The difference between creating a masterpiece and an average artwork is down to the skills and flair of the artist. The skills, experience and the understanding and appreciation of aesthetics are factors that will allow doctors to have more consistent and aesthetic results.”
Finding the right doctor for you
Still unsure as to where to start? Dr Puah offers three tips:
- Find out in detail about the doctor’s experience in treating your condition. Doctors with years of experience in aesthetic treatments – specifically in liposuction and body sculpting, will be likely to produce more consistent and better results.
- Find a doctor who is willing to spend time listening to you to understand your concerns and expectations. The more he understands his patients, the more he would be able to produce the results you are looking for.
- Get the doctor to show you previous examples of his work. Having a broad range of examples on various body types will allow you to have a better overview of how his skills would work for you.
But overall, you should always look for a credible doctor to get the most out of your body sculpting procedure. To help you find the right doctor, Dr Puah shares these pointers:
- Look for doctors who are experienced, especially in body sculpting or liposuction.
- Ensure that the chosen doctor is able to communicate well with you, such as discussing the pros and cons of the treatment.
- Understand the potential benefits and side effects of the chosen treatment.
- Note that post-treatment follow-up and care is equally important, as it can help to improve your recovery and final results.
- Base your selection on the cheapest doctor you can find.
- Be afraid to ask questions to find out what recommended treatment options are available, especially after the doctor has assessed your condition.
- Bring in a photo of a celebrity and hope to achieve the same physique. “Everyone is unique and different. What worked or looked good on a certain celebrity may not work well on you.”